A Windows Live(TM) Quick Application originally developed by Active Web Solutions Ltd and Conchango Ltd.
See Contoso Bicycle Club and Contoso University Shared Philosophy
Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Mac OSX
Microsoft IE7 or Firefox 2.0.x
Visual Studio 2005 + Web Application Project Option
or Visual Studio 2008
(latest version) (to compile the applications)AjaxControlToolkitASP.NET Ajax 1.0
Application keys for ExpoMicrosoft AntiXSS Library
An IIS server capable of serving ASP.NET 2.0
Outbound HTTP/S to all the Windows Live services APIs including Spaces, Expo, Contacts etc.
Inbound HTTP/S from anywhere
A valid domain name for your site e.g. www.yourdomain.comASP.NET Ajax 1.0
Optional: An SSL certificate (for use with Live Data)
- Unzip the files to a suitable location.
- Using IIS Manager, create new application called "contoso" under the default web site pointing to the ContosoBicycleClub sub-directory of the folder into which the files were unzipped.
- Open a browser and verify that you can see the web site. e.g http://www.yourdomain.com/contoso
- Download and install SilverLight 1.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/downloads.aspx
Notes for Developers
All of the data for this sample comes from Windows Live Services, specifically, Spaces, Expo, Virtual Earth and Silverlight Streaming. The web.config supplied with this site contains a number of application settings that allow you to configure the sources of this data. It is recommended that you become familiar with the code base before attempting to modify these values.
Some of the Windows Live services used in this sample are protected by a LiveID, the credentials of which are not published and the data are therefore, readonly. To modify the displayed data on the site requires 3 key items:
- Obtain a new LiveID - (see http://login.live.com) This LiveID will be used to administer the site.
- A new Space, attached to the LiveID, that will act as the main administration source. The Space needs to be configured to replicate the configuration of the Space used here(contosouniversity.spaces.live.com). It requires the following:
- A blog configured with 3 categories, Rides, Forum and Events. The web site retrieves the RSS feeds from this blog and re-presents the data.
- Rides require that an image must be added to the blog entry.
- Rides can gave a link to a maps.live.com collection which describes the ride route. This collection must include pushpins. The text from the pushpins describes the ride directions.
- Rides can also have a link to a Spaces Photo album. In which case, the photos will be extracted and displayed as a slide show using the ASP.NET Ajax Slideshow extender.
- After creating the blog entries, update the web.config to point to the rss feeds e.g.
- <add key="LatestRidesFeed" value="http://contosobicycleclub.spaces.live.com/category/rides/feed.rss"/>
- <add key="ForumFeed" value="http://contosobicycleclub.spaces.live.com/category/forum/feed.rss"/>
- <add key="EventsFeed" value="http://contosobicycleclub.spaces.live.com/category/events/feed.rss"/>
- An Expo API key - (see http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb246476.aspx) Once you have registered and obtained a key, plug the values into the web.config e.g.
- <add key="ExpoSiteId" value="1"/>
- <add key="ExpoAppKey" value="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"/>