Is microsoft supporting these apps, and for how long?

May 16, 2008 at 3:09 PM
I am wondering if these are being supported, as video.show uses microsoft expression encoder installed on the server and I have been having trouble getting that to even install on a VPS I am renting thats running windows server 2003 under a paralells virtuozzo virtual server (not my choice between paralells or MS virtual server).

anyway, you would think you would be able to find a place to host that application for 40 bucks a month, but so far I haven't been able to get it working anywhere but my local machine.

Also, the hosting that is offered for free on the bottom of this project page (Verio) is a little misleading.  I went and signed up for an account with them too, seeing that they say

"Your Free Website is Compatible with the Following: - Microsoft Expression"

however after signing up for the paid hosting (since they only give you a single DNS server ip with the instructions for the free service and my domain name provider requires 2) I found that their windows hosting that they call "windows virtual web servers" are not accessible via remote desktop, do not have microsoft expression available for encoding, and as far as i can tell there is no way to install it on this server, or even run an .exe.  "Expression" they use as a blanket term to refer to the frontpage-like app "Expression Web", because it must have server extensions like frontpage did or something similar.

So its really misleading perhaps since I have been trying to find a reasonably priced virtual server to install expression Encoder on and then when I see "COMPATIBLE WITH EXPRESSION" and a link to the host from the quick apps page, I of course assume that they would meet the requirements of all the projects on this page, but they do not.

Also, I have yet to hear if video.show (or any other of these blueprint/quick apps that might use expression encoder)  are going to support expression encoder 2 that has just been released.  From the codeplex page its hard to tell if there will be another release of that reference application.

Anyway, I am hoping that you guys see this and really try to get these example applications to the point where they are usable out of the box, so people can worry about learning the new tech in them (LINQ, .net 3.5, ajax) rather than spending two weeks in the expression forums, codeplex forums, hosting provider customer support... and still unable to get a reasonably priced hosting solution that will work for it.  It seems to be a high cost of entry for an open source starter kit.  I dont mind buying encoder for 300 bucks, but I dont want to pay that every month or more to host it, at least not during development.

Thanks, the code is great - I really want it to work out too, so maybe put yourself in a average joe who rents hosting shoes and evaluate these from that position.  And the Verio thing is kinda bogus I think.  Might want to look into that.

-John
Aug 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM
John

I amcurious if you found a solution to your above stated problem.
http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/encoder/thread/4936449f-e61e-4bf4-9f0d-f38bb651b2c5/

Myself and others are in the exact same situation.

thanks
Neil