Installation experiences

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:05 PM
I'm creating a discussion for installation experiences.
Thanks, Atanu
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:06 PM
When I try to install the video processing service by running Helper_Install.bat from the bin\debug folder then I get this error message :

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

I’m running on Vista, and the solution (as suggested by Angus) was to run the install script as Administrator because I have UAC turned on. In order to do this, I had to hack the script to first cd to the install directory. Then I right clicked on the script and selected 'run as administrator'.

I'm worried about this, as it means that I'll have to make the same change, the next time I grap a code drop. I'm not sure if there is an easier way to run a batch file in Vista as administrator from within the command shell - which would not require changes to the script.
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:29 PM
Another issue - now that I've installed the video processing service, I'm not being able to start it. I tried running the script under elevated privileges but I got the error: "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

I then went to control panel\admin tools\services and tried starting from there, but I got the same error message. Next I tried running the service as Local Service instead of Network Service - but that didn't change things either. I'm stuck at this point :-(.
Coordinator
Sep 25, 2007 at 9:42 PM

atanu wrote:
Another issue - now that I've installed the video processing service, I'm not being able to start it. I tried running the script under elevated privileges but I got the error: "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied."

I then went to control panel\admin tools\services and tried starting from there, but I got the same error message. Next I tried running the service as Local Service instead of Network Service - but that didn't change things either. I'm stuck at this point :-(.

Have you setup the permissions on MSMQ correctly for network service to have full permission - otherwise you may want to try to debug the service in Visual Studio.
Sep 25, 2007 at 10:14 PM
Solved this. I hadn't given NETWORK SERVICE permissions to the directory where the service executable resides (called the ServiceWorkingDir on the instruction page). The instructions mention this for the ProcessorWorkingDir but you have to do this for the ServiceWorkingDir as well.
Sep 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM
One more observation. Once you build and publish your web site to IIS, then if you see a 405 error when you try to sign in (or other HTTP error depending on your setup) - that means you haven't registered your return URL on the WL ID site. To do this, go to the msm site (http://msm.live.com/app), and then set the return URL to "your site root/Register.aspx", such as http://localhost/Register.aspx or http://localhost/SocialNetwork/Register.aspx (if the app is running in the SocialNetwork virtual directory).

I didn't see this mentioned in the installation directions - but it is documented in comments inside the web.config file.